Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am trying to fix my fridge...it's not cooling but the

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: i am trying to fix my fridge...it's not cooling but the freezer works.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: May tag model m1txegmyw01
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I know of yet
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 29 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 29 days ago.

So to start, the refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer which means something is stopping the air flow from the freezer going to the refrigerator. The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost? Is the fan running? If the fan is not running, you need to replace the fan motor because that will cause your issue and it has failed.

Now if the fan is running, the coils will be packed with frost and ice meaning the unit isn't defrosting on it's own properly. You'd need a multimeter to test continuity through the defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils as well as test continuity through the 1" round defrost thermostat clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part has no continuity, it needs to be replaced because that will stop the unit from defrosting on it's own.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
My question is.....I attempted to take the back panel off but there is a piece of styrofoam that I can't get off. The fan is working...but I can't remove the styrofoam
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 29 days ago.

The styrofoam is likely stuck due to the ice build up behind the back panel so you may just have to thaw it out with a hair dryer for a while first because once you remove the icemaker and then the screws going into the back panel, the back panel should just pull out.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?