Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Microwave oven continues to run after timer expires but it

Customer Question

Microwave oven continues to run after timer expires but it is does not continue to heat once the time expires
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Kenmore Elite - mfg July 2008
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: possibly depending upon how complicated
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I know of
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

If the fan and light continue after the time has expired this is a control board issue. You can try to unplug the unit for a full minute and plug it back in. If that does not cure the issue replace the main board or put the money towards a new unit.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, A 5 STAR RATING ALLOWS UNLIMITED FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS AND A DIRECT LINK BACK TO ME.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
do you have instructions for replacing the control board and approximate cost of the board?Is there any danger in continuing to use the unit as it is?

No there is not a danger but I would get it fixed. Do you have the complete model number off the unit?