Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher that stopped washing. Repair

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher that stopped washing. Repair guy / friend came over and said I needed a new diverter which I replaced. It ran fine foa a few days and then stopped filling so I replaced the fill valve. Still not filling. Checked the float valve by lifting and it clicks fine. My friend also said to replace the seal but I didnt see any need as i doesnt have any electrical components and there isnt any leaking.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.
  1. Do you have a meter to test to see if the valve is getting voltage from the control?
  2. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Im at work so I cant get that to you now. Are you talking about voltage to the float valve on inlet valve?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Well, the control sends voltage through the float switch and then to the valve. So, either the control is not sending that voltage or it is getting interrupted on its way down.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I test the valve?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

You would need a meter to place on the wire leads to measure the voltage.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I have that. Simply test the voltage coming in while the machine is on?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Correct, start the wash cycle and measure voltage at the inlet valve, looking for 120 VAC. I suspect that voltage will not be present. If that is the case, follow the voltage back to the float switch and then back to the control. If you find no voltage at the float switch and the wiring from there to the control is intact, the control will need to be replaced. Pay close attention to the harness as it bends around the tub, that is where wires tend to break. I will be here once you get to test it, so feel free to post back if you would like to go through it together!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Kelly, I'll check it when I get home and let you know.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Sounds good, thank you! It should be an easy fix, I suspect a broken wire but we'll see! :-)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Im going to need a little more "guidance" on this. Where on the float valve do I check for voltage and how?Then, to check the wires from control, do I need to take off the main panel cover? Is it like a wiring harness? If so, wont the wires have heat shrinked protection?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I will see if another may be available to help.

Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 months ago.

I see the last person has opted out of your question!

My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

The float switch will have two wire on it you can test each wire connection to chassis ground when the unit should be calling for water to fill the dishwasher.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The model number is *****

Thank you !

Have you tested the float switch or the water inlet valve for voltage when the unit should be filling YET?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Im going to take the dishwasher out, put it on my ping pong table out back so I can get under it to test while its working. I'll hook it up to a hose and plug it in and see. The filling cylce begins immediately after you hit the start button yes?

yes after you program it and press start the fill mode should begin and last approx 2 min .

just making sure your question stay open .

Reply when you can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ive been getting home late this week but will have time this afternoon to check the fill and float valves. Not looking forward to finding a cracked wire though. Are they exposed or covered in heat shrink?

they are exposed ,the connections on the float switch and valve may have a plastic connector but you can go on the wire side of the connector to test for continuity and voltage.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see a small kink on the water hose. Will replace

ok let me know if that helps out or not!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
didnt help. I have power to the float valve and the fill valve. So where are the wires Im looking at and whats the best way to find a break?

ok if you have power to the float switch and power to the fill valve and your not getting water then you have a faulty fill valve assembly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just replaced the fill valve with a new one.

ok so the valve is new but your still not getting water into the unit ,and the valve is getting the proper voltage to it correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

once you replaced the water inlet valve do you turn the water supply back ON to the dishwasher?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the water is on and the machine is plugged in

ok so if the water supply is turned on and you are getting the proper voltage to the water valve but your not getting the unit to fill you have a faulty water inlet valve.

Just because it is new does not mean it is good!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should I test the old one?

you can test the valve solenoid for continuity but that still does not mean it is a good internal valve only that the solenoid is good.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just did another check and the. Outage is weak. I think it's a wire that moves when the door is opened and closed?

please explain outage is weak?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The voltage is there, then we shake the door, and it changes to a reading much lower / not at all . If I get the full reading, then nothing wouldn't that be the wire ?

It could be a bad wire or just a loose connection .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so where do I check for that? If I had a start and end point I could do a continuity check.

start at the water inlet valve and end at the connection on the main control board inside the door on the P6-9 Brown wire and the P6-7 also a brown wire.

So check each wire from end to end ,if the wire is faulty you will need to replace the entire units wire harness .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Wire-Harness/WPW10612062/4448805?rcaid=1000070

if you have any questions just reply back to me.