Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 14 month old GE cooktop (gas), Model # is either

Customer Question

I have a 14 month old GE cooktop (gas), Model # is either PGP9830 or PGP989 (all I have is the manual which covers both models. I have used the small burner in the upper right no more than 6 times and a week ago the knob would not turn. I took it off and gently applied some pressure with a pliers. No movement at all though the up and down motion of the knob spindle seems fine. Any suggestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The cooktop was installed in September 2015 and I can't find the paperwork from the purchase to identify which of the 2 models mentioned above I have.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Only if it's easily accomplished!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If you can tell me how the 2 models mentioned above differ I can identify which one I have (if that is critical to the process).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So unfortunately that valve is beginning to fail if it won't push up and down to allow you to turn the knob. You don't want to force it or it'll likely cause a gas leak. The valve will need to be replaced. Now the unit is just barely over warranty so I would probably try to contact GE at 1.***-***-**** to see if they would be willing to help you out with the repair. Other than that, to know which model you have, you need to look under the cooktop. Just open the cabinets below the cooktop and look up and there is a sticker with the full model number. The numbers you have listed are partial model numbers so they won't help you getting the correct part that would need to be replaced I'm afraid.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The full model # is PGP9830SJ1SS; and to clarify, the knob moves up and down just fine. It's the turning of the knob that is not possible.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Understood, but that is still an issue with the valve itself if the shaft pushes down all the way and won't turn. Switch knobs to make sure it's not the knob that is the issue not pushing the shaft down far enough. If it won't turn then you need a new valve. The part number for the valve is WB21X10052 if you wanted to order and replace it yourself.