Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

ALAS! I thought I was running the kitchen timer on model

Customer Question

ALAS! I thought I was running the kitchen timer on model number 16H702SES. Instead I ran the unit on empty, becoming aware as odd smells and sounds were coming from the microwave. Now when it runs, it does not heat water, but the bottom of the unit feels warm. Can it be fixed or is it dead?
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: manufacture date is July 2015. Model is 16H702SES.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I didn't know we could do it. If it is a simple fix, yes. If it requires more technology, no.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't think of anything else to tell you. I ran it on empty, now it doesn't work. The time setting works. The heat does not.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

This is a common problem and the issue is that you accidentally set the microwave instead of the timer. It happens all the time. If you run the microwave without anything inside of it, it will overheating and trip the cavity thermal fuse. Unfortunately this fuse is mounted on the top of the microwave cavity so to access it you need to uninstall the entire microwave, then remove the outer shell so that you can see on the top of the cavity. There is a small dime sized device with 2 wires going to it. That is your cavity thermal fuse and it will need to be replaced to fix the issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.