Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My fridgaire gallery french door is showing error code sy ef

Customer Question

Hi. My fridgaire gallery french door is showing error code sy ef for evaporator fan failure, but everything is nice and cold and I hear somethig running. I'm wondering if it may be that the freezer compartment is super full and preventing the air flow??
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: lgub2642lfs. no clue about settings
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no. just trying to see if repairman is necessary since the darn thing is working fine. I've had tons of trouble with this fridge and I'm sick of dealing with it!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, just tell me if it could be what i suggested- over loaded freezer compartment or whether the thing would be working fine if the fan has failed
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So you are correct that this error code means that your evaporator fan motor isn't running properly. Unfortunately the evaporator fan will need to be replaced to resolve this issue. For now the unit is cooling properly, but this error only appears if the unit thinks the fan motor is drawing too much power. Over time it could stop or slow down to the point it won't cool anymore. It may still run but if it's not running smoothly or up to speed the fan motor needs to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.