Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My washing machine will not wash, Whirlpool cabrio

Customer Question

My washing machine will not wash
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Whirlpool cabrio WTW5500XW0
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It drains but that's it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

There are so many things that can cause that on that model washer that the only way to diagnose the issue is to put the unit into diagnostic mode and pull the error codes. It is not a very user friendly option at that. Most people have a hard time trying to decipher the codes, but I will link the tech sheet below so that you can try. See page 2 for activating the diagnostic test mode then refer to page 3 for fault code display mode, and follow the directions. Then use the chart on page 3 to decipher what code you are getting according to the lit lights on the display. Once you get the error code refer to the fault error codes on page 6 and it will give you a break down of what the code means and how to trouble shoot the error. Other than that there is no way to tell you what the issue is. I hope you can figure it out. click here to open/download tech sheet

********************************************************************************

You are billed by the site regardless if you rate the answer or not the only thing you are doing by not rating is keeping me from being compensated for the time I have taken to help you. So please rate the answer before you leave today, THANK YOU

You rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top right of the question page. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right on the star rating system and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know. If you do not rate the answer can you please at least let me know why you did not so that I can possibly do what is needed to deserve the rating. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This ain't telling me nothing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 month ago.

I see the last person has opted out of your question!

My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Do you still need assistance on your question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My washing machine will not wash it just doesn't doesn't seem to do anything

ok so when you press the power button it does not even come to life?

I need a bit more info then just it does not do anything.

Specifics please!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it comes on. make this noise like it's draining and a lil water comes out. But that's it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it has water in the bottom of the tub
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If it's easier you can call me

ok so you have standing water in your washer when it does the drain how long does this happen for?

Minutes ,seconds

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As soon as you cut it on, it hasn't drained all out

yes I know it comes on as soon as you turn it on BUT how long does it do this before it turns off? or do you have to turn it off for it to stop?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It doesn't stop it just make noise

ok so then it is trying to drain the water out but it is not doing that.

It sounds as if you have something stuck in the pump .

are you handy enough to be able to tilt the unit back against the wall and remove the hoses off the pump to investigate if there is something in the pump? And how much water is standing in the washer, (inches)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's not much water. I can tilt it back at disconnect the hose. Do you think that's the problem

Yes I suspect that you have something in the pump or the hose that is not letting the water flow properly.

Lets tilt it back you may need a short bucket to catch the water in to be able to get the hoses off and not make a mess.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already got the water out for the most part. What's next

now tilt it back and take the hoses off the pump ,look in the pump and hoses for any obstruction.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've checked it out it seems that everything is good.

ok now take and blow thru the hoses out to the drain and back into the washer to see if the air flow moves freely.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It flowing through. Does the machine hold water cuz it sounds like it has water in the machine and I've laid it down tilted it

yes you will have a small amount of water left in the unit and the top balance ring has a liquid solution in it also.

Ok so if the pump and hoses have no debris in it .then I have to suspect that you have a issue with the pump impeller ,so it runs but does not pump full volume.

I recommend to replace the drain pump.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo13/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/WPW10276397/1874334?rcaid=1000070

if you have any questions just reply back to me!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I'll try it real quick I'll let you know in a few. Thanks brother

no problem,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Call me plz(###) ###-####

Ok I sent a phone request to you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't afford 24 dollars
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's still doing the same thing

ok did the washer add some more water before the pump started or did the pump start with out water in the unit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it didn't pump water. How do u reset the machine

Ok i realize it is not pumping water ,but it has to have water in it to be able to pump water.

And you took the water out and removed the hoses so it had no water in it to pump.

My question was when you turn it back on did it bring water into the unit to be able to pump it or did it just start the pump with out any water in the unit?

to reboot the electronic control you will need to unplug the unit for 5 minutes or more to kill the control board memory.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It didn't pump water it just tried to start.

ok good info .

If the washer tries to drain water out as soon as you start it and there is no water in the unit then the issue is not the pump it is the electronic control lets unplug it for the 5 minutes and try it again and see if it then starts as normal or it does the same thing.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

no problem!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still the same. It not filling with water

ok so it thinks is has water in it!!

Or the pump would not be coming on even thou it has no water in it . not a pump issue

That means that you do have a control board issue.

http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo13/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/W10392998/1938489?rcaid=1000070

If you have any questions just reply back to me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It sounds like it's trying to pump water in

ok the unit does not PUMP water in to the unit it has two electrical controlled water inlet valves that open to bring water in just like a faucet.

The only pump you have is the drain pump .

The issue You have is the control board still thinks the unit has water in it that is why you hear the drain pump running .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I fix it

you will need to replace the electronic control board in the console.

I sent you a link for the part.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry. How do I going about doing so?