Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

My 9700 washer is acting sporadic and now door wont open.

Customer Question

JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: its about 9yrs old and its a 9700 series front load washer.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yep for now.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: My wife has a pile of clothes of to wash. HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Have you tried powering the unit off and then back on after 5 mins?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Do you happen to know the model number of your unit? If not you said its a 9700 model what is the brand? Hopefully I can assist you in manually unlocking this if the power reset does not work.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Maytag is the brand. I have unplugged it. Im going to plug it back up so standby.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
as soon as I restore power it starts making a sound like its running but its not but the door still wont open.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Ok I am going over a service manual for your model to find exactly where your manual unlock is.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/100321/Maytag-Mah9700aw.html#manual

I believe its located at the bottom behind the kick plate on the right hand side. I am looking through the manual to be sure.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Now you said its making a sound like its running what is happening on the control board? Can you put the unit into drain/spin mode and let that run through to see if it will unlock after that?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are no lights on. It sounds like it's pumping water or something but it's not.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Then it sounds like the problem is your control panel has failed. Do you currently have clothes stuck in there?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Also have you tried removing the bottom panel to release the manual switch to unlock the door?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No can it be opened manually?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Yes it can be it will be opened manually by either removing the bottom panel and pulling the manual release switch on the right hand side. If it is not down there which it should be then you will need to remove the top and pull the switch over the right hand side over the lock assembly.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

You will need to take the panel out from under the door by removing the 3 screws along the bot***** *****p.

Once the panel is off reach up inside the machine to the door lock and pull the manual release tab, this will open the door allowing you to remove your laundry.

Next taped to the side of the wall behind the panel you will find the tech sheet, Use the instructions on the tech sheet to run the diagnostic program. This will tell you where the problem is and the corrective actions needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm trying to get to it. How do I identify it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's the drain pump running.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

is there water in the unit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Got the door open there is water still in it.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

ok so the drain is running because there is still water in there. It is trying to get it all out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's been pumping the water out. It's like the pump is running but not pumping out water.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

If you are comfortable with closing the door again (which may re lock and have to be manually unlocked again) first check the lock on the door to make sure there is nothing blocking it then shut the door and start the cycle on drain spin and see what happens.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

There could be a clog in the hoses or a clog in the drain pump which will need to be inspected.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got the door open. Closed it. Now nothing making a sound. Put it on drain spin and it won't start. Will it not operate with top panel off?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

The top panel should not be a problem with getting it to operate but you can try closing it to see if that helps. .Has the breaker possibly kicked? I am beginning to think the problem is with your control board and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Did the door lock when you shut it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yep and won't open. The light on drain spin is blinking.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

ok so we are going to need to see if the drain hoses have a blockage or the drain pump has one.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is not stopped up. I have blown through it back into the machine.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

ok now what about the drain pump?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about it?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

you will need to check it to see if it has a clog. If it does not then you can test it to make sure it is working like it should. If it is not then it will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Can you open the door and grab me the model number from the inside of the door please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I blew through it that blew through the pump as well.
MFW9700
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Are you able to do anything with the control panel? Change cycles turn it on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lights come on but won't respond.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Ok so sadly what has happened is your main control board has failed. That is why the lock would not unlock that is why the drain pump was running but not doing anything and until this board is replaced you will continue to have this problem. This is the part for your unit.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Maytag-Washing-Machine-Main-Control-Board/WPW10137702/1373045?modelNumber=MFW9700SB0&ss=a11b4i1995d895175&mr=1

If you have found this information helpful all I ask is you rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The door is not locking now but I'm still getting no response.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is a tab on front of the pump. Can I unscrew it and get the water out of the unit?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Running diagnostic test pump runs but not pumping.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

my apologies for for the delay in response. So is the pump still not working?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hello I noticed your question was still open so I wanted to follow up with you to see if you needed anything further?