Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

A plastic spoon somehow fell down onto the heating element

Customer Question

a plastic spoon somehow fell down onto the heating element of my dishwasher and melted onto the element. I was able to pry the spoon loose and remove it, but some of the plastic has fused onto the element. I ran an empty cycle and the element heated up but I'm concerned that this could cause a fire. It is a fairly new Whirlpool. Can the heating element be replaced? Is this necessary?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Purchased 2/17/14. It just says undercounter dishwasher, plastic giant tub models. There is a number inside the door W10632077A.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I can't do it but my son probably can. He installed thedishwasher.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: My main concern is just whether or not this can eventually burn through the element and cause a fire.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So the heating element can be replaced, but there is no need to do that. Just scrape off the element as much as you can and then use some sand paper to sand off as much of the remaining material as you can. After that, you're good to go again.

If you did want to replace the element because you feel more comfortable doing that, you can order the part from Searspartsdirect.com. The number you have listed is actually a part number but you'll need the model number located on a sticker around the front frame of the TUB and seen if you open the door in order to look up the correct element.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?