Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a bottom freezer Whirlpool frig with icemaker. There

Customer Question

I have a bottom freezer Whirlpool frig with icemaker. There is often a sheet of ice on the bottom of the freezer. I lifted the wire over the summer and just recently turned off the water source. How do i turn off the icemaker and will that stop leakage?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Five year old GB2FHDXWS04
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not even close to qualified. I have been removing ice easily enough, but the coolant froze up twice and my ex and son helped me with that. Just wondering how to turn off the icemaker totally until i can get them to help.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is there a switch to turn icemaker off?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

No if the ice is building up in the bottom of the freezer floor it has nothing to do with the ice maker, the issue is

every 8-12 hours your refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle to melt the ice off the evaporator coils, then the water goes down the defrost drain tube to the defrost pan under the fridge, if the tube gets stopped up it will cause the water to back up into the fridge. The drain will have to be cleaned out.

The drain is located behind the freezer panel in the freezer under the evaporator coils you will need to remove the back panel and you will see a small hole under the evaporator that is where the water is suppose to drain, get a air hose if you have an air compressor or a turkey baster and hot water and blow the drain out until the water drains down the hole properly and it will be fixed, let me know if you have any questions in the meantime please read below, thanks.

********************************************************************************

You are billed by the site regardless if you rate the answer or not the only thing you are doing by not rating is keeping me from being compensated for the time I have taken to help you.

You rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top right of the question page. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right on the star rating system and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know. If you do not rate the answer can you please at least let me know why you did not so that I can possibly do what is needed to deserve the rating. Thank you in advance.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and unrated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?