Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I can not remove the wash shield off a lg top loader. I

Customer Question

I can not remove the wash shield off a lg top loader. I watched video. Removed center bolt but the plate won't lift up as shown in repair video.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 3 years old. Got a e6 error to relplace clutch. Model Wt4870cw
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I have the new clutch
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Don't think so. Just a hint how to remove the wash shield plate when it is stuck. Any suggestions
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The wash plate is designed to just lift off, in a perfect world.....however.... :-)

Use some penetrating spray (WD40, any other of your preference) and soak down through that hole well and allow it to sit for a few hours. There is probably a build up of "gunk" that has the splines stuck. Let me know what happens after.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I will try that.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

You bet, keep me posted!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We used crc it still will not come off
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My husband also drove center punch in the middle hole and pulled up on outside of shield with hooks at same time with no luck.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If it still will not come off, it will probably have to be chiseled off and replaced. The wash plate yours takes is below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I pried wash plate off. Replaced. the clutch and wash plate, put everything back together and got the same e6 code
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Did you replace the part at the link below?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think this was a problem in the first place ?
I have spent a lot of time and money at this time, I could've almost bought a new washer machine
I know you did not tell me to change the clutch
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
E6 is a clutch error. What would you have suggested if you had that error message
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The E6 error does not mean that any part is bad, it just gives you an idea of where to look for trouble. Error codes are not set in stone, they are designed to just give you a place to start when looking for the source of the trouble. Most oftentimes, that actuator motor solves the E6 error.