John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE profile countertop cooker and the spark won't

Customer Question

hi. i have a GE profile countertop cooker and the spark won't stop clicking. i think it's because i got it wet. am not sure of how to make it stop clicking. i've dried it, and blew a hair dryer over it.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it came with the house, so it's at least 15 years old. hold on, lemme check the model.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: it just says GE profile. i don't see anything else.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i dunno. the clicking just won't stop. i don't know how to make it stop.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.
  1. Did you remove the knobs so the ignition switches can dry out?
  2. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i don't have the model number. all it says is GE profile, 4 gas burners, countertop, the knobs are on the top of the counter to the right of the burners. i'm trying to find the pic i just took so i can get it off this phone.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Well, the switches below the knobs are what cause the sparking. You will need to remove the knobs and dry those switches totally out. It will usually require unplugging the cooktop, removing the knobs and placing a fan to blow on the switch area for 24 hours.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The model number is ***** the bottom, access from the cabinet underneath.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this is a pic of the stove and burner in question.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Did you remove the knobs so the ignition switches can dry out?