John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a South African friend who has moved to the USA, and

Customer Question

I have a South African friend who has moved to the USA, and for whatever reason is trying to get two Whirlpool ovens, http://www.whirlpool.co.za/products/microwaves/built-in/6th-sense-microwave-oven-amw-848-ixl to work on US 220V supplies. Both work as radiant ovens fine, and their turntables turn, and fans come on, but the magnetron doesn't.The nearest service manual I've found is the AMW 848 IX, which uses an inverter to drive the magnetron, these definitely have old fashioned transformers.Has anyone got a schematic for the -IXL ?Steve
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

There will need to be a converter installed to accommodate the 60 Hz power supply in the US. See the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think so. We're not seeing 220v on the transformer primary, we're not seeing anything on the primary, and everything else works. Can you access a wiring diagram ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I will see what I can find, but I suspect the control is not going to energize the transformer if the supply voltage and frequency is not correct.