Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE refrigerator model # CSHS5UGX, the problem I am

Customer Question

I have a GE refrigerator model # CSHS5UGX, the problem I am having is sometimes maybe once or twice a night the water will just stop also it will not dispense ice, i go back an hour later and it is working fine. This has been going on for a few months now.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Steve. Please give me a moment to look up your model of refrigerator.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Does your freezer have a metal or plastic lining? You can tell by placing a magnet on the inside against the inner wall.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, let me see if I can find a magnet
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The inner wall between the fridge and freezer is not, but the back wall of the freezer is magnetic and the door of the freezer is magnetic
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Ok,you have a bad low voltage wiring harness and plug at the bottom of the freezer door where the power goes in for the dispenser area. That plug and wiring needs to be repaired.

Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

I can walk you through it if you need me to.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have replaced this already
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That was in my information on the first page, it did work for about 2 weeks
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Then there is another wire down there that is corroded that needs to be addressed. That is why it worked for several weeks - because the wires were disturbed.

Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

You might also want to check the wiring splices at the plug for one or more that are not making a connection.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this the only possible problem, because it only happens now and again. It seems to me, but I am not certain, the issue occurs when the fridge shuts off/not cooling anymore. When the fridge is running the issue does not occur
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

If it only happens when the refrigerator is not in cooling mode, then that does not make sense. I have not seen this issue occur exactly in this manner.

Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

I will open this up to other experts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Like I said I am not certain about it shutting off when not in cooling mode, but 10 minutes ago the water was not working but now it is when the cooling came back on
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

You need to replace the rear main board on the unit, that is an extremely common issue.

CLICK HERE FOR PART

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, A 5 STAR RATING ALLOWS UNLIMITED FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS AND A DIRECT LINK BACK TO ME.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!