Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

After the dishwashing cycle is complete and the dishes are

Customer Question

After the dishwashing cycle is complete and the dishes are put away water accumulates in the bottom of the tub. This happens long after the cycle is complete and will continue to occur after pressing the cancel/drain button to clear out the water. At time the tub will sit empty for several hours or overnight and then water will accumulate again. Any suggestions on how to correct this?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: It is a KitchenAid Model KDFE104DBL3.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, the dishwasher was installed recently and is under warranty.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This is the second KitchenAid dishwasher installed in my home in the last month. The first one did the same thing.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. There are only 2 things that would cause water to fill up the dishwasher when the dishwasher is not in use. If it's dirty water, then that comes form the drain line because there is no high rise drain loop under your sink. What that means is that the drain hose should be routed to the bottom of your countertop before it goes down into the drain so that water can't backflow into the dishwasher.

Now the other more likely case is that the dishwasher's electronic water valve isn't sealing up properly. That can only be caused because the electronic water valve is bad on the dishwasher (which does happen in batches on new dishwasher sometimes), or your water pressure is dropping below 40psi which causes the valve to not seal up. If the pressure isn't high enough or it drops down when your sprinklers come on or something like that, you'd need to talk to a plumber to fix that. If the valve is just not sealing up, call warranty and they will replace the valve with a new valve at no charge.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The drain line was properly installed, so it appears the issue is the valve not sealing. It seems that 40psi is rather high. Shouldn't the valve seal at a normal pressure of around 30 psi?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

No, actually the pressure in a normal house should be at least above 60psi. These valves are rated between 40psi and 110 psi. If you're lower than 40psi, that would be a big problem.