Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Panasonic Inverter microwave--3 years old--1250W.

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Inverter microwave--3 years old--1250W. Will not heat when trying to program. I put in the time--push the start- it lights up-then
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Panasonic Inverter 1250W 3 years old Will light up but not heat--the clock does work. Can't get at the model number
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Stopped yesterday. What type of trouble shooting can I do??
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Does the unit still sound like it's running but it just isn't heating? Or does the clock just time down and you don't hear anything running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is not running or heating. The clock is just showing the regular time. When I put the time in--it lights up--starts for an instant and turns off.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

OK perfect. This is probably the most common issue that Panasonic microwaves get. It can be caused from several things, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove the control panel. This will give you access to the door switches to the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?