Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Are in the process of buying a new double oven by GE. The

Customer Question

are in the process of buying a new double oven by GE. The previous GE oven died after 8 years and two mother board replacements. The installer said that the 27inch Dimensions may have changed and he needs another 1/2 inch for clearance. He aalso said that he needs to replace our 40 amp circuit breaker wwith a new 30 amp. Is the new breaker needed? Icouldn't find that recommendation in the specs. Total installation price would be 290.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model? I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: first ge was bought in 2009. doint have the mmodel # but its the selfcleaning double oven 27 inch model. the salesman said if we had a 50 amp breaker it may have to be changed to a 40 amp. When the installer came to measure he checked and saw that we had a 40 amp and then said we need a 30 amp breaker. I may try another store and installer
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Everything told to you was incorrect. for a 27" oven, you do not need another 1/2 inch. The height may very but you'd have to measure to know for certain. The width of the oven will be the same, but if the height is different you may have to cut your cabinet slightly or use a filler piece of wood to cover the gap.

Also, a 30 amp breaker is not sufficient for a double oven, you still need a 40 amp or 50 amp breaker (you do not need to change to a 40 amp if you already have a 50 amp breaker). 30 amp breakers are for single wall ovens.