Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My whirlpool gas stovetop - the ignitors will not stop

Customer Question

My whirlpool gas stovetop - the ignitors will not stop trying to ignite
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2-3 years 30" W5oG3024XS01
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: would like too
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: A person was cleaning the knobs womder if water shorted out or something
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

If the unit continues to try to ignite, it means that one of your burner switches has either failed or is possibly wet. If you were cleaning, then likely it is just wet. Usually you can just unplug the cooktop and wait 24 hours for the burner switches to dry out. After 24 hours, plug it back in and if it works then great. If not, then the shorted spark switch below one of the knobs will need to be replaced to resolve the issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will let it sit over night or so and see if that resolves, otherwise I need to change out each switch until the failed switch is found?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

You can just disconnect one switch at a time and see if the sparking stops when you plug the cooktop in and if so, then that is the switch you need to replace.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I disconnect each switch?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

You'd have to take the cooktop all apart. Remove all the burner grates and knobs, remove all the burner caps, and remove the screws going down into each burner base. Then the entire top of the cooktop pulls off so you can access the switches. Typically drying out will fix the issue, but just in case this is what you'd need to do.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Was there anything else? I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yp
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am letting it dry out to see if I need to take apart and ask more.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

ok...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?