Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Dryer has power but does not turn on just stays on "sensing

Customer Question

Dryer has power but does not turn on just stays on "sensing Light". Does not turn on and spin
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.
  1. When you start it, do you hear a click from the control area?
  2. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do not have model # with me but I hear no click when attempting to turn on and use machine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not want to call you can e-mail me what I need to know
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. If the sensing light is on, the control thinks the dryer is running. So, one of two possibilities exist. Either the control is faulty and the relay that has to close to energize the motor has failed (I suspect this since you don't hear the relay click closed) or there is something interrupting the power from the control to the motor. Most models have a thermal fuse, a belt switch and a thermal motor protector. Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Sorry for the phone call offer, that comes up automatically, I have no control over those.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If you can test the output of the motor relay on the control, that will tell you if the control is faulty. No voltage out, bad control. Voltage out indicates a probable belt switch or thermal fuse failure. If you can post the model number, I am happy to get you very detailed information!

Thank you, Michael!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!