Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience:  Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
23932409

I'm working on beverage air under counter UCR72A ,replaced

Customer Question

I'm working on beverage air under counter UCR72A ,replaced the compressor ,evaporator coil & Capillary tube also liquid line drier
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: the problem i had after all this i have the problem with the liquid line pressure so low didnt increase and the low pressure didnt move like the compressor valve bad but this is the second new compressor i install,what did it went wrong please help
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes im own hvac & refrigeration co this the first issue with under counter
JA: Are you an HVAC professional?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no just that problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, lets do a pump down test. That is done by closing the units liquid line valve and forcing the compressor to run... if the compressor does not pump down well below 0 psig on the blue suction pressure gauge, the compressor valves are bad.

we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That was I thought the in the first place and I installed the another new compressor still some thing,
The only thing in this unit they didn't have liquid line valve only have cooper filter drier with stub up service valve
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** it your new compressor rated for, how many cubic inches is your drier, what is the suction pressure?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
134A ,Small copper drier with stub up service valve same as the original Beverage air under counter mod# *****
aproximately 3 cu inch ,suction pressure 45 psi / liquid didn't increase almost equal in going lower
in the evaporator coil they have another low side copper filter oem I didnt change that I dont know if we have some thing to do which that,I also pressure test with dry nitrogen seem the pressure going through fine and pressure equalized
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

What was the head pressure?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
50 and going down instead going up & comp run louder
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

So far it sounds like the compressor may not actually be running... it is unlikely that the new compressor is bad... tell me what amperage it is running at. Is the compressor hot on top?

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

I also need the model number on the box the capillary tube came in. (a grossly over sized capillary tube will cause these symptoms)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't have the box in the capillary tube come in my supplier give the compressor & cap tube I just give him model # & serial # of the equipment & he give me the part the supplier is RSD /Total Control im sure you know them ,I will call him to find out
& sent the info to you
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Great I will be here

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank You ,still if so they head pressure should be increasing ?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

If the cap tube is way to large it will flood the compressor with liquid refrigerant and bleed the condenser of more liquid than it was designed to produce (I am 75 years old with 55 years in the business)

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

That will run the suction pressure way up, and the head pressure way down, and the compressor will not be running hot.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
got it let me let me find out they didn't return the call to me yet
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

OK. I will be here. it will help if you can photo the units wiring diagram and post it here using the attach files link to the left of your send button

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
These are the best pictures I can give, since there doesn't seem to be any posted wiring diagram on the unit.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** to see a photo that shows each gauge hose connected to the unit...

Tell me if both hand wheels are turned 100% clockwise or not.

That tee and 1/4" spud connection in one of the photo's makes no sense....it looks like you tried to connect to the factory crimped off oil charging port the factory installed then sealed up.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

I need a close up photo of that

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File 14440 is the before and the 06379 is the after.
Comp off on before ,comp on after both valve on gauge closed ,The 1/4" stub that is the low side to hook up the gauge to
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** from here like both hand wheels are wide open, that is turned all the way out...that would equalize the high and low side and would account for your readings.

turn each hand wheel all the way IN, that is clockwise looking at each hand wheel

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

also, I need photo's of each gauge hose at the point where it connects to the system

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

I am off to bed now, I will pick up your response first thing in the morning.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok ,good night
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello again, tell me if the hand wheels on your service gauges where turned IN (clockwise) or not.... judging by the threads showing in the photo, they may have been OPEN. that would be the problem if its true.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good Morning , the gauge closed both side of course I know look like also hook up to both gauge to suction side but is not
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Phil, I call the supplier and double check my order sure enough he sent me the wrong evaporator coil
so every thing change the issue wrong capilary tubing to because they cross it with the wrong model
Thank you for the help
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Good work sorting it all out on your end too.

To rate my work, locate the finish and rate link and follow the prompts, 5 stars will appear. Thanks, ***** ***** the only way the company pays me for my time.