Eng-tech
Eng-tech, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Years of Repair Experience, Bachelor's Electrical Engineering Technology, MBA
95589641

I have a whirlpool Gold Refrigerator with a bottom freezer.

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool Gold Refrigerator with a bottom freezer. I noticed some frost starting to build up on the back wall. Is this normal?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: its probably about 5 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: the model number is *****
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: d like to do it myself I'd*
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you.

Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me where the frost is building up and when you first noticed it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I first noticed it last night. It's on the back wall.
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Is your refrigerator section still cooling well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I put a thermometer in last night and it read at 39. It's currently 42. I don't know how much variance there is normal in a refrigerator but it doesn't feel as cool as normal.
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

That is not an abnormal reading. Also, thermometers vary in their accuracy. As long as the frost buildup is not causing an issue, I would not be concerned.

Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

It could be just simple excess moisture that is building up. It is when you notice a significant cooling issue in the refrigerator that you my have an indication of a defrost system failure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If it turns out to be a defrost system failure what steps should I take?
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

The model number is ***** that you submitted. There should be a number near the beginning. Can you resend the model number?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
GX5FHDXVY04
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Then you will replace the control module at the top of the refrigerator. Would you like the part number and pricing?

Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

The part number is ***** and the price that I see is $157. There are instructions in the box for installing and programming it. I hope this helps! I wouldn't take any action unless you notice issue though. Again, it could just be moisture condensation.

*******************************************************************************

Please Note: I have taken the time to help you please take the time to help me. You are billed by the site regardless whether or not you rate the answer so not rating the answer does not keep you from being billed.

********************************************************************************

The only way I am compensated for the time I spend on the site helping is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of your page. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I dont think your initial response to the updated model number went through
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just got, "Then you will replace the control module at the top of the refrigerator. Would you like the part number and pricing?"Did you send something before this?
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Yes, I was able to look it up. That second model number was good!

Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

I was able to get pricing for the part from that. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok cool. So the first step is to replace the control module?
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Only if you are experiencing cooling problems. Yes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok great! Thanks.
Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

Best time to check the temperature in the morning after the refrigerator has been closed all night.

Expert:  Eng-tech replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome!