Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

We have a Maytag washer, model la712. It will fill and then

Customer Question

we have a Maytag washer, model la712. It will fill and then won't advance to wash. If you manually advance the knob to the wash cycle area of the dial it still won't begin to wash, but you can hear it making a quiet humming sound, and a ticking noise, just doesn't do anything. If you advance the dial to the rinse section, it will begin to fill as it should for rinsing. If you advance to spin section of dial, it will begin the spin as well. I just went and rechecked it and tried a small fill and moved the dial over close to the end of the pre-wash soak area and waited, and it engaged the wash cycle after a few minutes of the subtle humming and clicking and now appears to be washing properly. So, is the control wearing out? Or? Hate to wait until it completely fails but it just "fixed" itself! What to do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 month ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

Do you still want help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi Chas...yes, iF you feel it can be diagnosed now that it is working again. If not we can wait. My feeling is that some little cog in the control is getting worn and that by rotating it a few times and turning off and on it "fixed" itself. The problem is if it will remain fixed.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 month ago.

When you heard the noises was it coming from the bottom of the machine or the control panel itself?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just the slight hum and clicking (faint) from the control
Expert:  Chas replied 1 month ago.

Personally I believe it to be the timer going bad. You could replace it, it costs over $200 though, I wouldn't put that much money into something this old, however if you like you can click on the blue link below to order it from this company.

Click Here for the part.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Tips are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Expert:  Chas replied 1 month ago.

Hello I see that the question still open, is there anything else I can do for you today?