Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

My oven is a GE electric model # JHP66. I have a new gasket

Customer Question

My oven is a GE electric model # JHP66. I have a new gasket to install on the oven door. How do I proceed?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Age 30+ years. Jodel JHP66B 002 SC
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: How get the door off the oven, how to remove the inner door panel to access the gasket
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Here is a brief video on how to do this project. Is that all you are needing?

https://youtu.be/S9FxENXfIYo

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, the guy in the video is installing a gasket with clips; my model does not use clips. The inner panel on the door must be taken off to access the old gasket and replace it. Apparently the inner panel on the door clamps the gasket to the door itself. Also, the work requires that the door be removed from the oven.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

ok one moment while I pull your diagram.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Sadly I am unable to locate your manual. Have you slid the door off of the hinges yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, waiting for advice.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Need your advice on removal of oven door
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

open the door at about a 45 degree angle and slide it off of the hinges.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, door is off the hinges. Now, how do I access the panels clamping the gasket?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

You are going to need to unscrew some of the screws to get the panel off.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still working on it.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

you are fine I am here

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still working on it. Knocking off for the day. Hope to finish tomorrow. Will report,
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

sounds good. In the event you found my information helpful all I ask is you rate with 5 stars at the top. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Travis:OK, I finally finished the job, despite absence of step-by-step instructions from the parts supplier, you, or any other source. I can suggest that anyone else who undertakes a project like this (replacing the door gasket in a 32-year-old GE electric oven) would benefit with step-by-step notes, or a video, but I was too frustrated to bother with someone else's project in the future. This job for me required nearly 7 hours total, over Sat-Sun, just because I lack skills and experience at this sort of thing. Did not get much practical help from you or any other Webb-Guy -- except for one thing: Having you in the background gave me the self-confidence to proceed, with the realization that if I messed up, you would probably be available to offer advice and keep me out of trouble. That's VERY worthwhile. Thank you for that!
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I am so glad to hear that everything went well and that you were able to get it figured out. I could have found videos or diagrams to assist had you let me know you need them though. Sorry about that. I do hope you found my information helpful and would be willing to rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time.