Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a fridge that has been sitting unused for a while, I

Customer Question

I have a fridge that has been sitting unused for a while, I recently plug it back in and now it runs continually. The fridge gets very cold (below 0 deg C) and freezer will freeze food. There is minimal food in the fridge & freezer. When I plug it in it ran and after a few hours did stop but then ran constantly for 2 days. The exterior coils are free from dust. The seals are good and did hear the damper operate once. Fridge is a Westinghouse BJ415. Can you advise?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Westinghouse BJ415 +12yrs
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

If the refrigerator is getting TOO cold because it's running constantly, then you just have a bad thermostat which isn't regulating the temperature properly. The thermostat is the part behind the dial which you move to adjust the refrigerator temperature and it will need to be replaced to fix the issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think it might have an electronic board
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Does it not have a physical dial that you mot to adjust the temperature? If it's not manual and it's push button then you are correct that it has an electric board which means that there is a sensor inside the refrigerator toward the back usually near the top that acts as the thermostat which would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. end conversation
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

OK well as I advised before, the thermostat needs to be replaced to resolve the issue.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Replaced thermostat - still runs continuosly, tested thermostat compartment heater: 20K ohms, checked continuity of connectors...still no joy!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

The only thing left would be the control board if it's not reading the thermostat properly so the control board would have to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think it has a control board, just a defrost timer?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Adjusted the location of the thermostat capilliary tube to be closer to the damper. The fridge now cycles on and off every 2 to 3 minutes (approx) except when defrost kicks in - then the compressor will run for 20 -30 min. Ocassionally can hear the freezer fan turn on when compressor is off. How do I reduce the on/off cycle time?
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

The compressor is cycling on and off that fast 2-3 minutes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sometimes upto to 4 1/2 minutes