Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Got a Maytag Dryer that started to need a little help in the

Customer Question

Got a Maytag Dryer that started to need a little help in the spin/tumble cycle. We would give it a little push and then it would work. However, it has now stopped altogether. The belt would appear to be the necessary fix but not sure because it happened gradually
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? And when you press the start button do you hear the motor hum?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the motor hums and puts out heat. Model MDE6800AYQ
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK so that either means your belt is broken or the motor has failed if it just hums and doesn't run. You'll need to take the front panel off the dryer to see if the belt is still attached or not. To remove the front panel, open the door and remove the 2 screws going through the door hinges. Remove the 2 screws going in through the opposite side of the door way. The front panel will then unclip at the top and hinge forward and down. Once you have removed it you can look and see if the belt is broken and if so, you need to replace the belt but you also want to take the drum out and spin all the pulley and support wheels to make sure none of them are jammed causing the belt to break.

Other than that if the belt is still connected, then replace the motor.

You can order parts at Searspartsdirect.com if you wanted.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.