Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 40s vintage Hardwick 20"gas oven Model ZA 1616w

Customer Question

I have a 40s vintage Hardwick 20"gas oven Model ZA 1616w that has been in a mountain cabin since it was new. It just began to have problems with the oven turning on. The pilot light extends when the oven it turned on, but I get npo gas flow for up to half an hour. Once the gas starts to flowto the burner, it lights and works well. I cannot find any info on this model and was wondering if this might be a thermostat problem.
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: See above
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is just changing the thermostat, probably.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Anyone in my area work on this? Boise, ID
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

The issue isn't a thermostat problem. The issue is a thermocouple sensor. If you look at the pilot light, there is a probe with a long wire attached to it which the flame touches when it gets larger. If it doesn't detect the flame it won't turn the burner on. You will want to sand this probe with fine sand paper to make sure it's shiny and can sense once again. If you still have problems, you would need a new safety gas valve which comes with a new thermocouple sensor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.