Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

Kitchen Aid KSSS36FKX00 Side by side I have had this on

Customer Question

Kitchen Aid KSSS36FKX00 Side by side Hello I have had this on going problem with my Kitchen Aid KSSS36FKX00 side by side for about three years. I believe that I have used Just answer I think twice before maybe three times for this same problem to no avail. I just keep using it because it is in my kitchen and it has wood on the front that goes with my kitchen, anyway I have a second refrigerator in the basement that always saves me. Hear is the problem. The refrigerator side works fine maintains any temperature setting perfectly. The freezer however will not maintain temperature properly. No matter what temp it is set at, the temp goes to -10 which is Max cool. the max cool light is never on, the actually temp on a separate accurate thermometer is -22.in the freezer, at that temperature. a lot of things become different. when it goes into the defrost cycle (and the heater does work ) what ever drips off the evaporator core freezes immediately and never makes it to the drain or the tray and builds up a ice layer over and over until in about six months there is a giant iceberg in the bottom of the freezer that must now be manually defrosted. Annoying. The unit is well maintained the condensed is always clean no dust in the coil. I take it apart and brush an blow clean the coils, no problems there. Thinking that this is a temperature feed back problem I replaced the both thermisters freezer and refrigerator and after the problem continues. I checked them for proper operation with and DVM ohms at temperature using the chart. They are functioning correctly .I have the technical manual job aid. I also replaced the bimetal on the evaporator coil .as suggested in the past. to no avail I was told it must be in the main control board unit they all have problems there. So I sent out the board to Core Centric and it comes back and it still operates in the same manor. So I used it, not being happy with that I sent it back with a letter explaining and they said that there is nothing the matter with the main board, double checked.. They suggested that I check the touch display board so I sent it to them, it comes back and the freezer operates the same right to -10 with no control over freezer temperature. Early on I had run diagnostics the only thing not correct was, 03 evap fan was 02 evaporator fan motor at incorrect speed . The compressor seems to be locked in to run at max all the time I think ?It shuts off several times a day for maybe 28 ,30 minutes while it goes into defrost mode you can hear it drip building up the iceberg on the freezer floor. So after I used it again another few months I ran diagnostics again and I get the same thing 03 is 02 evap fan at incorrect speed. So I then say well maybe the evap fan is not well it has run continually since Nov. 2004 when we moved in after complete house remodel. So I take another chance and replaced the evap and the condenser fan motors still the same results. I keep the refrigerator set at 38 and the air door works properly diagnostics say it does and I hear it operate as it cycles through the checks. No matter what the temperature in the freezer is set at it runs until it displays -10 that would be max cool . What is the job of the inverter? under compressor protection in the tech manual job aid, it says The inverter board utilizes a current limiting device and thermal protection that eliminates the need for a compressor mounted thermal protector .and maybe if that is not working correctly maybe it lets the compressor run at max all of the time over freezing the freezer. I know that this is an older unit now, I am hoping to find someone that has, had this experience or is good with this unit and not going just give a professional guess again. as I have paid for in the past . As an auto tech person I know there is nothing like having the unit to actually work on. I am almost ready to call a local repair and hope they are good at diagnostics. I seek to maintain this unit as long as I can because it is part of the cabinets, so I am ordering any vital parts still available compressor , inverter, I have a list. anyone willing to take a stab at it I will pay again Please think and research before you answer I am willing to work with you please I need help Thank you Clifton Hodge e mail is***@******.***

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

I do believe your problem is with the invertor control board telling the compressor to run constantaly and is going to need to be replaced. I am sorry you have had so many issues trying to fix this but I am fairly confident that if you replace this part it is going to take care of your issue. If you order from this company and it does not solve your issue you can return it and get your money back. I certainly hope this takes care of it for you so you can have the unit you are wanting to match your kitchen up and running again.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Kitchenaid-Refrigerator-Inverter-Board/W10629033/2997771?modelNumber=KSSS36FKX00&ss=a4b121i1993d582164&mr=1

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks that was the next part on my change list. even if this is not the fix i will keep the inverter as a spare for future brake downs. thanks I will give it a try. Cliff

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks that was the next part on my change list. even if this is not the fix i will keep the inverter as a spare for future brake downs. thanks I will give it a try. Cliff I will rate after I know it works Thanks

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry have had to go through all of this but I certainly hope this is the last change you have to make so you can finally stop having this headache.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

If you have found this information helpful all I ask is you rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Well unfortunately that part did not correct the problem. It still went to -10

I set it at 0 and it will not hold there.The fridge was powered off for a month.

Part came today. I installed it, came home and it is in the same condition.

stuck at -10 again.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

At this point the only other things I can even imagine being the problem would be the main control board or possibly the compressor itself.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

the main control board was sent to Core Centric twice as stated. and the touch display board once. I do not know if an educated guess is going to fix this unit. compressor works fine and is quiet.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

It is not an educated guess I am just wondering if they actually fixed the main control or just sent it back is all. It just makes sense to be the board with this happening. Give me a little bit to look over some things and I will be back with you. I know this has been a headache for you but I want to make sure to do a real good look over the manual and information about your unit. Service manuals and any other possibilities that can cause this ok.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 months ago.

Ok so I have went over the manual and plus my personal knowledge Now just to double check the freezer thermistor was replaced correct? If so How about the defrost control timer? I personally think if the thermistor inside the freezer itself was replaced the problem may be that the compressor is low on refrigerant. Have you ever had anyone check your compressor out? You said it seems to be running at max all day so the problem could very likely be with the compressor.

Here is the information on not cooling enough most of these repairs are bad evaporator fans that chirp and squeak or refuse to circulate cool air and lower refrigerant levels. A malfunctioning door safety switch is difficult to pinpoint but also prevents proper cooling even though the freezer is running. Likewise, a faulty defrost control timer, a bad thermostat and a failing evaporator will prevent cooling

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Here is the information on not cooling enough? When did I say it was not cooling enough. whose question are you answering ? If the freezer goes to -10 on its own there is not a problem with, not enough cooling. what the? sat a hella ! A bad thermostat , failing evaporator?

what are the conditions that an evaporator would be failing ,leaking ,contaminated with debris from a failing compressor. For that to happen the condenser would be pluged first and the system would be in severe distress. none of that is happening. the the unit works largely OK. one would not know that there is a problem,except if you looked at the temperature display for the freezer, the refrigerator operates fine. I do not think you read and understood my lengthy synopsis of what was happening. Another guesser. I think if you have not had the experience the you won't find the answer in the books you better give up while you are ahead . Thanks