John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a ge profile side by side that isnt cooling

Customer Question

I have a ge profile side by side that isnt cooling correctly. Trying to figure out my model but all i can seem to locate is part numbers
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2001. It is 23.7 ss
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Maybe depending on how complicated it is.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think it has to do with the defrost unit but havent located that yet either
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?