Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a whirlpool refrigerator that I just replaced the

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool refrigerator that I just replaced the water filter in. I now have a light that comes on the door that looks like a square with a line thru it with a x in a circle in the lower right corner. the lights inside the frig to not work when you open the doors nor does the ice or water dispenser work. I can un plug the frig and every thing works for about ten minutes then the same red square comes back on. Any ideas?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 days ago.

The problem you're having is that the refrigerator doesn't think the door is closing so it's going into liner protection mode. After 10 minutes, the refrigerator shuts the lights off if the door hasn't been closed in that time because it doesn't want the bulbs getting too hot and melting the inner refrigerator liner or warming up your food. You'll need to unplug the refrigerator and then plug it back in after 5 minutes. Open the doors and the lights should be one. Close the doors and peel back the door seals to see which section has the lights on still even with the doors closed. That is the door switch you need to look into. If the door is hitting the door switch, replace the door switch because it has failed and doesn't think the door is shut.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.