Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I'm trying to clean the coils on a MC Model GA15A6

Customer Question

I'm trying to clean the coils on a MC Model GA15A6 refrigerator. I only have a conventional vacuum cleaner. Any suggestions?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: MC Model GA15A6. Probably twenty years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The access to the condenser is 90 degrees right, and fairly tight to the chassis. I have a standard vacuum cleaner, with limited attachments.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 days ago.

To clean the coils you'll need a big pipe cleaner or pick up a refrigeration coils brush at a hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. You will want to pull the refrigerator forward, clean the coils with the brush by rubbing them, then push the refrigerator back. All the dust on the coils will fall to the ground and collect on the brush which you can then vacuum up.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hello, Tyler. The time stamp on your response shows you sent it yesterday, but I didn't receive it until today at 12:46 pm. Given that I had the kitchen obstructed by the fridge yesterday, I had expected a reply yesterday. When an hour passed from when I submitted my request, and I hadn't heard anything back, I needed to take action, so I went to ACE Hardware and bought a flexible coil brush, cleaned the coils, vacuumed up the debris and returned the refrigerator to it's operating position. So basically I did what you suggested, but before your advise arrived.This is probably just a system problem with the email carrier locally (I'm visiting my newest granddaughter in Bozeman, MT). I sent a refund request to Just Answer, so I'll wait to hear from them about the $28 they charged me for information that arrived too late to actually help.To me this is just another case of a bump along the internet "superhighway."