Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a samsung dryer model DV5451AEW/XXA 01. The dryer

hello!
I have a samsung dryer model DV5451AEW/XXA 01.
The dryer will turn on (rotate) when the door is closed, but it will not engage in any cycle. (heat)
Im guessing its the control board?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is my girlfriends dryer. I have replaced control bds on other dryers. is there a way to run a diagnostic test on this machine?
thanks

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

No heat is very seldom caused by a control failure. There are several thermostats and, of course, the heating element, that is much more likely to fail. Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do have a meter.
the dryer is operating as soon as the door is closed. the only way to stop the drum from turning is to open the door. i unplugged and replugged, hoping it might "reset" it, but it didnt work.

Ah, okay, so it is not shutting off, either. If you start a regular cycle on the control, will it heat? It starts up without the control being on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is correct. drum turns continuously when door is closed, and it will not heat

Okay, so that would mean that the motor's centrifugal switch likely has welded contacts. Do you have a clamp on meter to test current draw to see what the motor is drawing when it starts and after it starts and continues to run?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have a meter, im not at her house right now.

Okay, I am going to send the troubleshooting manual for you. I believe the motor will need to be replaced but if you have a meter, you will be able to test the components. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The complete troubleshooting manual is attached. Let me know how it goes!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the switch is internal to the motor.not to question your answer, but it seems as though others with similair issues were were replacing the control board to resolve the problem. just want to be sure that i was explaining the issue clearly.close the door...drum turns. open the door...it stops. no heat. no apparent response to anything being pressed on contol panel.

Well, it could be the control but usually if the control is off and motor is still running, the centrifugal switch has to have welded contacts. IN any case, you will be able to determine by measuring the current out of the control at the motor output terminal. If there is power at the relay output with the control off, then the control is faulty. If power is not at that relay output, then the motor is staying engaged and the door switch is just opening and closing the neutral to it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
with the start button OFF, the drum will turn when the door is closed
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
got it!where is the relay output

I understand, it could be that the control has a welded relay but I still suspect the centrifugal switch is faulty. The only way to know is to see if the control is energizing to provide the motor power or if the centrifugal switch is keeping the run winding energized, not requiring any action from the control.

The motor output is on the control board. I will see if I can get you a picture. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no problem. thanks

See attached page. Motor output is arrowed in red. If you have 120 VAC from there to ground with the control off, the control is faulty. No power from there to ground, motor is faulty.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you!

You are very welcome!

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page!

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.