Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Kitchenaid built-in KSSC42QMS01 The temp on this fridge

Customer Question

Kitchenaid built-in KSSC42QMS01
The temp on this fridge starting adjusting on it's own; both fridge and freezer. Temp was much warmer. I could manually adjust but the display would immediately go back up on it's own. There was also a new, faint noise. Cleaned the coils up top and removed grate at bottom and cleaned there, too. Turned power back on and the temp was auto set to 70 on both fridge and freezer. As before, I can manually adjust but it just returns to 70/70. It sounds really good compared to before the cleaning but is not cooling
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The temperature display will always default back to the actual temperature after adjustments are made, so that is normal. The temperatures, however, are obviously not normal! Is the faint noise you hear a soft humming/buzzing noise, followed by a heavy click?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi, no click. soft hum
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Can you feel the compressor and see if it is running, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have power off now will it start up as I turn it back on?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it should start up within a minute or so. Listen for any sounds and where they come from, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay, powered on. immediate motor running just at vented area in metal housing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sounds like fan. can feel a fan running. air coming thru vent
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Can you feel the compressor running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
tell me how to figure that out
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If you lay your hand on it, you should feel it vibrating.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if I put my hand on the metal housing, there is a vibration
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Okay, and you are touching the compressor, the large, black round part with tubes soldered to it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's warm to the touch
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Okay, so that means that electrically everything is working, the control, compressor inverter (power supply), etc. So that means that the issue is related to a problem in the sealed refrigeration system (compressor, evaporator, tubing, etc) and will require professional service. That type of repair utilizes very specialized equipment and training, it is not DIY repair. However, it may be under warranty. May I please have the serial number from your refrigerator?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
QR3414192 good news only ,please
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I hope to have that for you! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Well, partially good news. It looks like the parts may be covered but the labor will not be. That unit was manufactured in La Vergne, TN, August of 2004. So, depending on if you can provide a proof of purchase, it may have a short part of the 12 year warranty left (see the attached page). The labor will not be covered, though, that is only provided for 6 years. Hopefully you can find a way to prove installation date. If you cannot, they go 8 weeks from date of manufacture, so it would not be covered if you have no installation or purchase documentation.

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. Thank you, Lora!

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.