Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Whirlpool stove will only heat up to 285 degrees. Is

Customer Question

My Whirlpool stove will only heat up to 285 degrees. Is there anything I can try?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was purshased in 2012.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It was purchased in 2012. Model number WFE714HLAS0. Serial # R20810390.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Depends on the involvement.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

To be clear, are you saying that you set the oven to 350 but it won't go higher than 285, or the oven won't even let you set it above 285?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
If set at 350 it will only go to 285
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

OK perfect, so that means your bake element has failed or the relay on your control board is bad and not sending power to the bake element. During preheat cycle the oven will turn on the broil element and such to preheat quicker at 30% which is why it will raise to 285 but not get any higher. You will need to pull the oven out, unplug it, and remove the back sheet metal panel to access the terminals on the bake element. Test continuity through the element with a multimeter and if you have no continuity through the element---replace the element. If you do have continuity then you need a new control board.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?