Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Water collects under large meats tray...either leaks out on

Customer Question

Water collects under large meats tray...either leaks out on floor or freezes
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
model # PFSS6PKXASS
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

perfect, thank you. This is actually a very common issue with your refrigerator and the water is accumulating under the deli drawer at the bottom of the refrigerator because the drain line is backing up. If you look at part number 97 in the diagram below, this is the part you need to remove so that you can see the silver evaporator and the drain trough below it. Pull all the drawers out and remove this panel. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly.

This is a design flaw and Samsung (Samsung makes this refrigerator for GE) has come up with a kit where a drain probe goes down the drain hole and attaches to the heater so that it transfers heat into the drain hole and the drain hole doesn't freeze over. Of course Samsung won't take responsibility or recall the unit for this issue but the part number you'll need to install is da61-06796a for this unit. I'm really sorry you have to deal with this issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?