John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My friend has a whirlpool frig model wsf26c2exf01 that is

Customer Question

my friend has a whirlpool frig model wsf26c2exf01 that is freezing the food on the fresh food side and now the ice maker only works part of the time. She doesn't have much money so I said I would help her check things out. Do you have any idea what the problem could be.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about 5 years old I think. model wsf26c2exf01, type 26mssa serial hr24705642
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it is simple
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 8 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can you tell me what the temperature is in the freezer section ?

and the fresh food section is cooled only by the freezer section were cold air from the freezer is blown into the fresh food section from the upper left corner in the fresh food section .

In that vent there is an electrical driven damper door that opens and closes depending upon the signal it gets from the main control board .

And the main control board get it signal (temperature signal) from the temperature sensor in the fresh food section .

It in turns tells the control board if the damper needs to be opened (allowing more cold air into the fresh food section , or if it needs to be closed restricting the air flow into the fresh food section.

The most common issue is the damper door getting moisture in it and then the door will freeze in just one spot ,which in your case sounds as if it is wide open ,making the fresh food section too cold.

and this action taking more air from the freezer section could cause the icemaker to not be getting cold enough to cycle and drop cubes .

Check the vent in the upper left rear corner and remove the plastic cover and check the damper door .

The damper is item #4 in this parts break down .

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/W1108021-00002.png

and let me know what the freezer temp is .