John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

My Hobart LX 30 does not heat the water beyond supply temp.

Welcome to JustAnswer. If the control board display indicates a call for heat, check the continuity of the heat element. Then check to see if there's voltage present at the element terminals. If the element tests OK, but no voltage is present to power it up, the control board will need to be replaced

If you need more help, please let me know.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After checking things out, no power reading at the water tank heat element. There is power at the sump heat element. The control board shows a e3 code and a wrench symbol. My manual says an e3 code can involve a temperature probe. Am I on the right track?

Yes. You'll find the temperature sensors mounted beneath the door. To replace one, you need to removed the kick panel underneath the door. You can view the probes by putting your head inside the wash cavity and looking underneath the sill plate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, it looks like there are 2 probes. One in the sump and one in the tank. Is there a way to test these probes to see if one or both are bad?

Check both for a resistance reading. If there is an open or shorted probe, replace it. A good part shows a resistance which changes with the surrounding temperature.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The probe in the booster water tank shows no restiance reading. I am assuming that is bad and I will be ordering that part.

OK. Let ne if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After replacing the probe on the booster tank, I ran the machine. I did not get an error code but the temperature only got up to 147 degrees, one it got up to 157. This machine had been getting up to 167 degrees after the rinse cycle. So it still has an issue.

The machine required an input water temperature of 140 degree for minimum performance. The booster heater is designed to increase the rinse temperature, when starting from the point. The more often you run a cycle, the lower the average rinse temperature. Be sure the house water stays at 140 degrees during the entire period of operation. The addition of other or more water using appliances can affect it's overall recovery rate.

Do need more help, before your request times out? If not, please take a moment to rate my service to you.