Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I am trying to replace the water filter on my Whirlpool

Customer Question

I am trying to replace the water filter on my Whirlpool fridge (model ED5VHEXVQ01) and can't get the old filter there a "finger grip cap" that I should have transferred to the new filter the last time I replaced it? If so can I order the cap?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: About six years old. I don't have any other model # to give you than the one above.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes....but only if I can get the old filter out.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.....looking forward to a positive solution.
Submitted: 2 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 days ago.

So yes, there is a filter cap that should have been transferred form the old filter to the new filter so you have something to grab. There is a button to the left of the filter in the bottom vent that you push hard and the filter unclips, then you pull the filter forward from the cap. If the cap is missing you may have to grab the filter with pliers or push the cap back onto the filter and then pull it out. Below is a link to the cap you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for filter cap

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 day ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?