Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

Viking VGSC486. Bake and broil quit working on large

Customer Question

Viking VGSC486. Bake and broil quit working on large oven--no sparking from igniters and no gas odor. Convection fan works. Bake igniter from large oven works in small oven. Trying to sort out the limited wiring diagram from my manual.
Could this be a relay or circuit board problem?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to try and assist you. It sounds like your gas valve is not opening up? Now you said the small oven is working? So can you use it to cook? Do you smell gas on the small one? Is there more than one gas valve?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Small oven is working fine. The large oven has bake and broil and convection ba
ke. I swapped the bake igniters from the small oven to the large oven and vice versa---still no spark in the large oven, but the swapped igniter works in the small oven.
There is no gas odor when the bake or broil function is turned on the large oven. There are 3 gas valves: one on the small oven and one each on the large oven bake and broil connections. Fuse on the back of the oven is not blown.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 10 days ago.

Then that does sound like a control board issue. I can not see two gas valves being bad at the same time and there is no way to check the board just replace it. You will want to call viking to get a replacement board that way you do not end up with the wrong one.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 7 days ago.

If you have found this information helpful all I ask is you rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.