Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have been troubleshooting my Whirpool Refrig...Need tech

Customer Question

I have been troubleshooting my Whirpool Refrig...Need tech help to go further.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section. Also, when you say the unit was cycling quite often, are you talking about the compressor or are all the fans an motors turning off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
GC5SHEXNS05
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. Also, when you say the unit was cycling quite often, are you talking about the compressor or are all the fans an motors turning off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The evaporator fan "was" cycling on/off every few seconds (I'm sure that was the hair buildup on the condenser coils) but then the unit just stopped cooling altogether.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

OK so to be clear, no fans or motors or anything are running currently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct...
From "power on" (plug-in/cold start) the control panel "beeps" then the condenser fan spins up (for 2-3 seconds) then nothing else... compressor does not start, but relays click on "electronic control board".
Lights are on, "display control board" is working (seems to be) just fine..."displays temp and set points are still programmable etc. Freezer/Evap. fan does not start.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

OK so your main control board under the refrigerator back by the compressor has just failed I'm sorry to say. It's located inside a sheet metal box against the right side wall and the problem is the board is no longer made. You can still find refurbished boards on the internet and whatnot, but the part number you need to order and replace is WPW10219463.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You confirmed my thoughts...
However, (because I hear "relays energizing/de-energizing) I removed the control board and fully tested/verified function off all (5) 12 volt relays on the control board (vac'ed off, tested (NO and NC contacts "under load") and re-soldered in place)...
I just wanted to be sure that I don't replace the control board, only to find that the inverter is fried?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

The inverter wouldn't stop the freezer fan from running. You said nothing was running which means only the main control board is a possibility.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What if that fan is fried?
and...
What if the defrost thermostat was open?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Then the compressor would still run

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Doesn't the compressor shut down when the thermostat opens?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

no it does not.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, forgot to add...I did check the thermostat...and it is open.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, because it's warm in the freezer---that is why it's open.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the compressor continues to run during a defrost cycle?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

No, the control board shuts it down when it goes into defrost cycle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the thermostat "opens on rise"...
Sorry, the schematic does not indicate if it "opens or closes on rise", so I was guessing it should "open on fall"?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

it opens every time to cut out power to the heater if it gets too warm inside the freezer. That is 100% normal. It's closed only when its cooling.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK
I have to leave my office for a bit...
Can I contact you later...
If so, how do I get back to you?
Can I call you on the phone if I have trouble finding the "control board"?
I know it's an extra $24 but it would be worth it for me to get this right?
Thank you,
Don
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

yes you can contact me later but again you just need to replace the control board. There is an E-mail sent to you with a link to come back and and ask follow-up questions after you rate me if you need anything else. As for the phone call, I'm not sure why there would be any reason you would need to do that since it's very clear you just need to replace the board.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Tyler!
Have a good day!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

No problem and you do the same as well!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?