Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My whirlpool ET20DK (no longer in warranty) has developed

Customer Question

My white whirlpool ET20DK (no longer in warranty) has developed spontaneous black crackle on two places on the front freezer and refrig. doors. I can find nothing in the use & care guide, but I think the covering is leatherette - not sure. Is there any thing to do that would make this less unsightly?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model ET20DKXVW00
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: 1991
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I hoped to do it myself.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately as these units get older, the paint will break down from the cold temperatures getting through the insulation in the door as well as moisture build up form humidity. There really isn't much you can do but to paint the door which may look worse than it already does if you just use touchup paint and don't repaint the entire door. It's just aesthetic but unless it gets really unsightly I probably wouldn't try to sand down and paint the door.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.