Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Have you heard of a problem on a built in kitchen aid fridge

Customer Question

Have you heard of a problem on a built in kitchen aid fridge where there is a crazy knocking noise at exactly 4am in the morning every 3 days?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it is about 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: it is a 45" side by side, don't know the model no, I have already had a technician out and he said he had no clue
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i think that is it - it is super load and is like banging drums, it lasts quite a while. I turn the fridge off and wait 5 mins and then turn it back on and it goes away
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 days ago.

The knocking noise you hear can only come from one thing and that is the evaporator gurgling. It will sound like 2 wood blocks hitting each other really hard repeatedly and it occurs when pressure builds up in the sealed system and refrigeration oil is covering the entry hole where the heat exchanger connects to the evaporator. Over time refrigeration oil can work it way from the compressor to the evaporator and that will cause a loud popping noise which sounds like 2 wood blocks hitting each other. Now the noise will occur fairly randomly and that fact that is occurs at 4am is likely due to the refrigerator coming on around that time each day since the door doesn't get opened through the night. Either way, the only way to really fix this issue is to replace the heat exchanger and evaporator which is rather expensive at about $600-800 or so. You can wrap the evaporator entry tube in an insulation and that will reduce the noise as well, but the noise will still be noticeable. It doesn't affect the performance of the unit, it's just an annoyance.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?