John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

I am having troubles starting my Hobart grinder. I have a

Hi,I am having troubles starting my Hobart grinder. I have a Hobart mixer/grinder,model#4346. When I try starting it with the mix/ grind switch it will make the definite purpose contactor circuit kick in and out multiple times .The motor tries to go.Does this mean the definite purpose contactor is bad. If not ,what would cause this to happen?
Thanks Stuart

Welcome to JustAnswer. Since the contactor is ruggedly built, I doubt that it's the source of the problem. I suspect the switch is intermittent. To test this, remove the switch wires, and connect them together, while the electrical breaker is turned off. Switch the breaker on, and check to see if the motor runs correctly. If it does, replace the switch.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi John,
Sorry ,That I have not gotten right back to you. I tried by-passing the switches as you recommended. This did not cure the problem. When the definite purpose contactor is kicking in and out there is a part on it that is moving in and out. If I hold it in ,the definite contactor stays engauged ,the motor will run. When I shut the switch off and try to restart or try to use the foot pedal , I am back to square one. Any other ideas?
Thanks Stuart

Since you can manually operate the contactor, the contacts are OK. Check the voltage at the contactor coil terminals to see if there's a constant voltage there. It will be 120 or 240 volts, depending on how it wired. If the power is uninterrupted at the coil, replace the contactor. If power interruption is present, please get back to me, so we can figure out why it's happening.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi John,
I thought this might be an easy fix. I know nothing about checking electricity. I will call an electriction .
Thanks for your advice.
Stuart