John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

We Just bought a Hobart 60qt 2.5 HP mixer, and the Hobart

Customer Question

We Just bought a Hobart 60qt 2.5 HP mixer, and the Hobart repair man said that the motor is bad (no more info). He said that the only option was to buy a new one from Hobart for $4600. That is not a financial option for us a we are an upstart pizzaria. Can these engines be rebuilt or replaced with a refurbished one? Many thanks as I am pulling my hair out right now.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: My brother bought it off craigslist. It seemed to be running fine in first gear, but would blow the breaker on the wall in second. It looks to be 10-15 years old but I can only find the serial # if that helps. The electrician that first looked at it said that it was pulling 90 amps when we cranked it up
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If we can, I just need to find a solution that isn't a $4600 new engine if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: At the moment, that is the most I know. Hobart guy (nice guy) just charged me $350 to come in and look at it and say "Engine's done". That was all the info that he gave me, so I am quite deflated right now. Should of tried you guys first
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. If your mixer is still in its new purchase warranty coverage period, the company is required to repair or replace your mixer for any parts failures or manufacturing defects. Bypass the repair person, and contact the company customer service department directly at www.hobart.com, and ask to speak to a customer service representative directly to make a warranty coverage claim.

If the mixer is not covered by the warranty provisions, contact someone at Grainger.com, and ask for a recommendation on a local electric motor repair and rebuild servicer.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.