Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My GE microwave, model no. JVM1740SP1SS keeps running the

Customer Question

My GE microwave, model no. JVM1740SP1SS keeps running the fan while the door is open. It does not heat anything. What should I do? Should I attempt to replace something myself?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It was manufactured in 2011. It is mounted above the stove.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is safe. If not I will call somebody.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: What will the parts to replace cost?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Appliance Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Thanks. I think I will get somebody to fix it.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 days ago.

The issue you're experiencing is caused by the microwave thinking 1 of your 3 door switches has failed. There are 3 switches for safety reasons. You'll need to remove the vent panel above the door and then remove the control panel in order to access the door switches to the left so you can test them with a multimeter. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to test the actual door switches inside your microwave to know which one to replace.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?