Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My fiancé has a whirlpool range that is approximately 12

Customer Question

my fiancé has a whirlpool range that is approximately 12 years old. it is an electric glass top oven. Today the burners started turning off after a few seconds on all settings on all four burners. she says it has never done this before but they only stay on for a few seconds and then turn off. any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

All of the burners act the same? Do you have the model of the range, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she is checking the model number right now. I have her on the phone with me. yes all burners act the same
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
where can she find the model number
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Behind the drawer on the frame, usually on the left side.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Oven heating okay?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
model GR448LXPS
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she hasn't tried the oven. she is checking right now but she has to take out pots that are stored in it, lol
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Sure, no worries. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she turned it on but the burner on the bottom of the stove is doing the same thing. turning on and off as well
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Okay, so the issue is with the power supply to the oven. It could be a weak breaker, a connection issue at the wall outlet or a problem with cord connections. The issue is not really with the range but with the electrical supply. Do you have a meter to test voltage with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no but that does help quite a bit. I am in a different city but am I correct to assume that I can have her check the breaker. the power plug should not be an issue as the stove hasn't been moved in eons. the cord could have gone on the fritz but the issue is most definitely power and not with the unit?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Yes, definitely a power supply issue. Now, I don't want to scare you guys, but this issue is dangerous. When the power shuts off like that, it is because there is a high current draw that is stressing out a connection somewhere. That connection heats up when it breaks and can catch fire. I would strongly suggest you have her turn the breaker off right away and call an electrician.

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks, kelly
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.