Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My ge convection oven had an electric flash when my wife was

Customer Question

my ge convection oven had an electric flash when my wife was turning it on and now it does not generate heat. smelt like electric short after. what could it be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.
  1. Where was the electric flash from, could you tell?
  2. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ge monogram ZET837SB255
flash was above door or from panel
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

See the diagram at the link below. Near which part, or close to?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe 16
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Are you able to perform some disassembly for inspection?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i don't want to pay an additional $24 to talk which would double cost and I have never used this service. Sorry!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, that is an auto offer, I have no control over those.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my wife is cooking with the regular over so I could not turn off electricity at this time. I assume you need me to turn off electricity to kitchen area. If so, can we reconvene in a couple hours?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Yes, you will want to turn the power off. The attached page shows how to access the control area for inspection.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Am I looking at the upper diagram or only the lower one?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
should i be expecting a response?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Just the top one, you just need to get access to the back of the control panel.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looks quite complicated. What do you think are most likely causes and reason for disassembling? thx
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The control has likely shorted (the electric incident) and disassembly will be required to see what has happened. If it flashed, it will be visible.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You think control has shorted but it does affect digital display which are working. does that mean separate wiring?.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Well, something in that area if that is where the flash came from. It may be a melted wire, a connection that came off, hard to say until we get a look inside.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Seems this requires a professional to disassemble and diagnose - don't you think?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Well, if you are not comfortable with disassembly, yes. It will cost about $150 or more to have it diagnosed, plus labor and parts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, what time can I expect you......Kidding ! Thanks for your time but I am not comfortable disassembling.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The trip charge would probably be pretty hefty, I am in south central Montana! :-)

Have a great weekend in spite of this hiccup!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.