Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

How can I prevent my door ice dispenser from jamming???

Customer Question

JA: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Model MF12568AEW - about 8 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This happens quite regularly, about twice a year
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 4 months ago.

Open the freezer door and remove the ice storage bin. Check inside the bin for clumps of ice and break up any clumped ice with your hands. Throw out any clumps you cannot break up with your hands. Replace the bin and close the freezer door. Place a glass under the dispenser and test to see if it is working. Proceed to the next step if ice is not dispensed.

2

Remove ice cubes stuck beneath the raker bar on top of the ice maker. Remove some of the ice inside the ice storage bin if the bin is too full. A full bin can allow cubes to fall inside the ice maker instead of the bin, causing it to jam. Place a glass under the dispenser and test to see if it is working. Proceed to the next step if ice is not dispensed.

3

Open the freezer door and remove the ice storage bin. Press and hold the door switch inside the door while pressing the dispenser switch on the outside of the door. If the flap inside the dispenser chute does not open, check inside the chute for obstructions and remove anything stuck in the chute. Proceed to the next step if the flap does not open fully, but no obstruction is present.

4

Grasp the front cover on the outside of the freezer door and pull it away from the door to remove it. Turn the four screws beneath the cover counterclockwise with a screwdriver to remove the dispenser control board to uncover the flap in the dispenser chute. Check the spring on the flap, and replace it if it is damaged. Inspect the crank attached to the flap, and replace the crank if it is damaged. Inspect the flap and replace it if the edges are rolled or broken. Proceed to the next step if the spring, crank and flap appear undamaged.

5

Inspect the solenoid beside the flap and replace it if it is rusty. Replace the dispenser control board and secure it with its four screws. Snap the front cover into place. Place a glass under the dispenser and test to see if it is working.