Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

GE Dryer #GTDP490ED2WS--We have to hold start button down

GE Dryer #GTDP490ED2WS--We have to hold start button down and also have to hand turn drum to start the drum to turn. If we don't do that the dryer just hums and will not start.....

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I apologize for the delayed reply. The issue you are having is with the motor. It will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

The video at the link below shows how it is replaced!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry for the delay. We were traveling. I just wanted to explain a little further as to why the motor went out. We took the dryer to NC. The existing dryer had a three prong plug. We used the existing wire (instead of 10-4) when we wired the 4 prong plug outlet. The dryer briefly came on and then made weird noises and we turned it off. Would this have blown the motor or is there a reset button for this situation?

Well, the round plug on the prong outlet is a ground wire. On a 3 prong outlet, the ground is wired in with the L shaped prong. So if the outlet was wired properly, it should not have done any damage to the motor, it just may not have been grounded.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.