Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a GE monogram zirs36nmhrh refrigerator. It is

Customer Question

I have a GE monogram zirs36nmhrh refrigerator. It is separate from the freezer. The drain line is clogged and water is dripping on the floor from the bottom of the refrigerator. How do I unclog this?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is a 2008 model. It is a ZIRS36 NMHRH GE Monogram
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I would like to.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: NO. It had clogged once before and a technician can out from GE and Cleared it Im told rather easily. I was not present.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Give me just a moment to pull up some information on your unit and i will be right with you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 5 days ago.

As part of the refrigerator's defrost cycle, the defrost drain tube transfers condensate from the evaporator drip tray that's under the evaporator to the drain pan in the machine compartment next to the compressor, where the water evaporates. If the evaporator drip tray or top of the drain tube freezes, the condensate water can overflow into the freezer or the refrigerator compartment. This repair involves thawing that drain area so that the condensate properly flows through the defrost drain tube and into the drain pan next to the compressor.

It should be a pretty good sized tube

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Travis - I think you have the wrong model refrigerator. This is a a stand by itself builtin refrigerator. The Freezer is another stand by itself unit. So the frig does not have a freezer. The compressor is located above the refrigerator. the coils and the drip pan is at the bottom of the frig .
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 4 days ago.

oh that makes a world of difference I am not familiar with this model so I will open this up to other experts.

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 days ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

In the diagram at the link below, number 6577 is the evaporator cover that will need to be removed to access the drain for thawing and cleaning.

At the bottom of number 5005 drip tray is the drain hose you will need to clear. Use nothing sharp to thaw or clear that line, only hot water!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 day ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.

Customer: replied 13 hours ago.
Hi Kelly I will not get a chance to attempt the repair until tomorrow. The diagram you sent look like my refrigerator. I will update as soon as I go into it. Thank you for your help and checking on me, I appreciate it. - Mike
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 hours ago.

Thank you, Mike.