John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Our electricity was out for 4 days due to Hurricane. We have

Customer Question

Hi. Our electricity was out for 4 days due to Hurricane Matthew. We have a Frigidaire upright freezer that was filled with food which we have emptied. When the electricity came back on we began to get a smell in the room, not in the freezer, that smells like carrion. I have cleaned inside and outside of freezer, removed compressor and cleaned out the drip pan surrounding the compressor, which was filled with some slimy stuff that did not really smell like the "room" smell. I bleached the floor beneath the freezer and the inside, but the room still smells. Any other suggestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's probably about 10 years old. I'll run out and check model info.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Okay, model is MFU14F3GW3, and it was manufactured 12/98. We probably bought it sometime in 1999, as we had it when we moved in July 1999. Doubt that we have the technology to do the work ourselves if its
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: sorry, if it's too complicated.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 6 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Did you get any water under the unit?